My Unfavorable Cervix

The day I went into labor started like every other day the last two weeks of my pregnancy. I woke up and asked myself, “Do I feel any differently? Does today feel like the day?”


So I got ready and headed off to work. At four days overdue, we had a prenatal appointment that afternoon to get things checked out and potentially plan for an induction. At the appointment our doctor informed us that there were still no signs of progress. No dilation, no effacement, no baby on her way. “Your cervix is currently not favorable for delivery,” is what he kept repeating, and I began feeling a little defensive on my cervix’s behalf.

They ran several tests to get an idea of how the baby was doing including a fetal heart rate test, and an ultrasound to ensure she was still head down, get an idea of her current weight (they guessed it at 8 pounds), and to check my amniotic fluid levels. Everything looked great so the doctor decided there was no need for immediate induction. We instead planned for me to be admitted to the hospital on Sunday night to begin the process, starting with having my poor scolded cervix ripened so it would be more “favorable for delivery,” followed by beginning Potocin (the drug that induces labor) sometime on Monday.

G and I went home excited to have a plan and to know that at the very latest our little girl would be here sometime next week. We were a little disappointed to discover there were no signs of progress yet, although around late afternoon I started telling G, “I don’t know…she could come tonight! I’m feeling a little different. I think things might start happening.”

At around 8:30pm that evening I posted this status message on my Facebook page: Not hungry, but really should eat something. I’d hate to go into labor tonight and have to reply “a box of Junior Mints and some Mike & Ikes” when the Dr. asks what I last had to eat.

A few minutes later my water broke.

Or at least I thought my water may have broken.

(And here’s where we start getting personal.)

G and I were sitting in the living room–G was watching the movie Munich and I was blogging (just a little bit of trivia there for you)–when it suddenly felt like I had lost my bladder a little bit. I hadn’t had any issues with incontinence during my pregnancy, and wasn’t doing anything at the time that may have caused it–like laughing or sneezing–so I thought it was a little strange, but then again I was almost 41 weeks pregnant. I went to the bathroom, changed my underwear, and sat back down. About 15 minutes later I felt another little gush of fluid–similar to what I felt the first time, only this time it was a little more. Once again I got up and went to the bathroom, changed my underwear and my pajama bottoms (both were wet this time), and then smelled them. Gross, I know, but that’s what I remember hearing you are supposed to do! It didn’t smell like urine–it actually didn’t smell like anything–so that’s when I said to G, “I think my water might have broken.”

I remembered from our birthing class that once your water breaks your baby needs to be delivered within 24 hours, but that’s about all I could remember (birthing class drop-out). I had started having some mild contractions and G suggested we call our doctors, but I brushed him off replying that I was pretty sure we still didn’t need to do anything until my contractions were closer together and more regular. Plus I still wasn’t quite convinced my water had broke.

For the next half hour I sat in the living room and continued to blog, while G sat across the room and stared at me. “Feel anything now?” he kept asking, so I began to announce each contraction to him in the midst of cropping and saving photos for an upcoming post.

I decided to try going to the bathroom again to see what would happen and I ended up peeing A TON–way more than I should have considering I just went about 30 minutes earlier. When I finished I noticed it didn’t look like urine at all–instead it was more white and cloudy with little white specks floating around. While I was in the bathroom G had hijacked my laptop and Googled what to do if your water breaks–the overwhelming consensus being calling your doctor immediately.

So 45 minutes after that initial little leak, I finally called the after-hours number for our clinic. The answering message said something along the lines of, “If you’d like to leave a message for the doctor on call press 1. If you think your water has broken, get your ass off the phone and immediately go to the hospital. Didn’t you learn ANYTHING in your birthing class, you idiot??”

I pressed 1.

A few minutes later I was describing all the details of my possible urine/possible water breaking situation to the on-call doctor who replied, “That sounds exactly like your water has broken.”

Then I filled him in on my appointment from earlier in the day and that there were no signs of progress and my cervix had been deemed “unfavorable” for delivery. I did this partly so he would have all the necessary information, but mostly because I was hoping for a little cervix sympathy. Maybe a compliment or two on how good a job it was doing trying to prove everyone wrong.

But I got nothing.

Instead he just replied, “Pack your things and head to the hospital. Your baby is on her way!”

So that’s when I went to the kitchen and started making dessert bars.


I had actually made the dessert bars earlier that day in anticipation for being induced on Sunday as treats for the hospital staff, so I started wrapping them up and writing thank you notes. And then I made and ate some oatmeal (who knew when I’d get to eat next?) while G grew increasingly anxious over how unconcerned I was about getting out the door. I double-checked my hospital packing list and threw some last minute items in. Then G took Chase to the dogsitter’s, while I hopped in the shower, rubbing my bare pregnant belly for what would soon be the last time and soaking in all those final moments before a whole new batch of amazing new moments started.

After all that we were finally on our way to the hospital to have our baby girl!

Check out Part 2 of this post:  Labor & Delivery


  1. 1

    haha – I hope I am able to stay that calm when it’s my turn to deliver someday. How did you not start freaking out?

  2. 2

    I love how laid back you were!

  3. 3

    Aww…such a cute story. Amazing how it can all happen so quickly. Looking forward to the labor/birth story!

  4. 4

    OK – I can top the grossness of water breaking. Similar situation. I wasn’t blogging though (lying in bed trying to take a nap after feeling a little off). Anyway, I had the minor water breaking scenario you described and here’s the GROSS – I called DH up and made him check my pants before calling the doctor.

    Pregnancy removes all modesty. And whatever wasn’t gone after that leaves sometime between nursing and potty training.

    Welcome to the club.

  5. 5

    And the oscar for best use of the word cervix in a blog post? It’s really no contest.

    Funniest and most enjoyable birth story I’ve ever read. Can you write everyone’s birth stories (including mine when the time is right?), it would make blogging during the blog baby boom more enjoyable.

  6. 6

    Totally looking forward to part 2!

  7. 7

    Eeeek! I’m so eager for the next chapter!!!

  8. 8

    This is awsome! I love your humor and way that you write!

    I can’t wait to hear how things turned out!

    It’s crazy how you went from nothing to all this! Promising…

  9. 9

    I’m a sucker for delivery stories! My water broke at home with both of my pregnancies, but the second time around I was little more relaxed. I had been on bed rest for weeks so let’s just say my hygiene suffered! My husband was bouncing around the house not really knowing what to do and I casually went up to our shower and washed my hair. Hey, a lady gets a lot of pics taken on that big delivery day, right? Can’t wait to hear our your story continues!

  10. 10

    You sound like me — in no rush to get to the hospital. I showered, put on make-up and we even stopped at Tim’s!

    Excited to hear the rest of your story!

  11. 11

    Can’t wait for part two…love your blog!

  12. 12

    Exciting!! Can’t wait for Part Two.

  13. 13

    Nooooooooooo! Don’t quit now!!! PS – I was eating oatmeal while reading this and when I came to the part about YOU eating oatmeal I felt an instant bond 😉 I like you!!

  14. 14

    You are so cute. Can’t wait to hear the rest!

  15. 15

    wow, thanks for sharing! its cool to hear stories about going into labor!

  16. 16

    Can’t wait to hear the rest! The “I pressed 1” line made me LOL. 😉

  17. 17

    Can’t wait to hear the rest – I love how calm you seemed to be!! This line: “rubbing my bare pregnant belly for what would soon be the last time” totally got me. I have about 10 weeks left & reading this just made me realize I only have a short time left with this belly…and up until this point I thought I would be happy to see it go away, now I’m not so sure. But continuing on and reading the rest of the sentence totally makes me want my daughter here now – so I can see her, hear her (yep…pretty excited about this one), snuggle with her, and all that other good gooey stuff:)

  18. 18

    You’re lucky! I was in excruciating pain after my water broke, while watching law & order!

  19. 19

    I can’t believe how calm you were about the whole thing! Can’t wait to hear the rest of the story!

  20. 20
    Anonymous says:

    First of all, belated/advanced congratulations to your cervix for showing the medical community what’s what.

    And second of all, I am totally impressed with how thoughtful you are. Baking treats for the hospital personnel?? I never would have thought of it myself (because, I think, being at the hospital to have a BABY is all about ME, I guess).

    You are a good person. Kate is lucky to have you. Now hurry up and post part 2.


  21. 21

    I love this story…can’t wait for part 2. I also am not sure how you stayed so calm, but kudos to you!

  22. 22

    Hey! Same thing happened to me BOTH times! Went to the doc – “not even close” and went into labor that night. I’m telling you, when they check your cervix, they trigger the start!!!

  23. 23

    I love how calm you were during this. Your humor is cracking me up as always. And, hello, love how you took a shower to soak up your belly one last time! That is just AWESOME!!!

  24. 24

    Like everything else you do, you even went into labor w/ style. And how sweet are you?! You made treats for the hospital staff!

    Most entertaining Part I ever. EVER.

  25. 25

    How am I supposed to tell you how wonderful your cervix is, if you don’t give me the entire story!? I’m off to my Doula class…where I will have to sit and talk about cervixes all day, while worrying about yours.
    Thanks for that;)

  26. 26

    Ha! My water broke at home too, and I was totally casual…took a shower, cleaned up the living room, ate a sandwich…then woke my hubby up and told him we should probably go to the hospital because my water broke. “Oh my God, it JUST broke?” “Nope, like 2 hours ago.” “What is WRONG with you woman?!?” Hehe.

  27. 27

    I can’t wait to read part 2- My husband and I are expecting our first in 5 weeks!

  28. 28

    Loving your story so far!

    And so sweet you took a moment to soak in the last day of your preggo belly. I never heard of anyone doing that but I think thats such a sweet idea.

  29. 29

    Thanks you for sharing. I can’t wait to hear the rest of your story.
    When I had our little one I wasn’t progressing at all either and then wham, bam, slam, it was time for her to come.

  30. 30

    Thanks so much for your comments everyone! So glad you all enjoyed Part 1!

  31. 31

    So, I’m late to this party, but since cleaning up my diet with you earlier this year (Whole Living Challenge), I’ve been following you on FB, periodically checking in on your website, AND I was FINALLY successful at getting pregnant!!! Yay! I’m due in about 6 weeks so your pregnancy posts are right up my alley these days.

    On this particular post, just reading the words, “… I hopped in the shower, rubbing my bare pregnant belly for what would soon be the last time and soaking in all those final moments before a whole new batch of amazing new moments started.” made me immediately tear up! Yep, nose is running and everything.

    How sweet is it being pregnant? I’m feeling so blessed. I guess this really got to me because recently I’ve started thinking of how bittersweet it will be to not have that belly. I love that you spent a little time with yours before heading off to have one amazing little girl. OK, OK, now I’m off to read Part 2. Can’t wait, even though I have a *feeling* that it all turns out wonderfully… :)


Leave a Reply