This week I’m joining 22 fabulous bloggers from across the country in a Signature Style Blog Tour!
(If you’ve clicked here from Diane’s blog In My Own Style, welcome to All Things G&D – I’m so happy you’re here!)
When the lovely Carrie from Making Lemonade invited me to be a part of her #SignatureStyle series this week, I gladly embraced the opportunity. The truth is, my signature style for our home over the past four years has primarily been “Fisher-Price meets Sesame Street” (with “Disney Princesses meets Lego World” slowly taking over). There hasn’t been a whole lot of home styling going on around here lately other than toy corralling…but that tide is starting to turn!
Now that my daughter Kate is a little older, she no longer needs toys scattered around every square foot of our house to keep her satisfied and safely supervised, so we’re working on keeping the toys contained to designated play areas. I consider this Step 1 of Operation: Adults Take Back the House.
Move into a new house!
Our family is moving within the next year and I have been daydreaming about designs for our next house (which G has dubbed “our grown up house”). This Signature Style Blog Tour has been the perfect opportunity to reassess what I love and don’t love, and get back to my signature style! Here’s where I’ve landed:
My Signature Style is: Polished Casual & Eclectic
- I like clean lines and lots of space.
- I love mixing unexpected colors, finishes, and styles – like blacks with browns and shiny chrome with rustic wood.
- I’ve always loved a neutral palate, but since I’ve been keeping Melissa & Doug in business for the past four years, I’ve learned to embrace color. I prefer bold pops of bright and purposeful color here and there, versus an entire room full of color…unless I’m doing a room for my 4-year-old – then we go all out with color (as seen in her playroom)!
- I believe furniture needs to be functional and comfortable, and I love pieces that pull double duty, like an ottoman with storage or a dresser that doubles as a kitchen sideboard.
- My most beloved home decor is oversized, whimsical and/or unexpected. I don’t even drink vodka, but isn’t that pillow hilarious? That’s totally something I’d sneak into my house somewhere!
This gorgeous kitchen (by Zieba Builders, Inc; seen on Houzz.com) is pretty much perfection in my eyes. I love the neutral mix of dark browns, blacks, whites and grays. The shine and bling from the chandelier is a beautiful and unexpected contrast to the rustic wood table, finished out beautifully with clean-lined chairs. And those industrial pendant lights over the island? Yes, please!
I could live in this little corner by Urrutia Designs (via Houzz.com). Growing up on a farm, I’m a sucker for a barn door – especially one with a bit of a modern twist like this one painted black. The comfy throw, chrome lamp and unique little table…all it’s missing is me and a book.
Some fun accessories!
Smoked Pearl Pillow via Scout & Nimble
Juno Bamboo Vase Collection via Target
Black Dotted Pillow via Scout & Nimble
Trust Me You Can Dance – Vodka pillow via Society6
Meaningful Quotes pillow cover via Amazon (affiliate link)
Smith & Hawken Decorative Wood Tray via Target
I am so excited to bring back my signature style as we look forward to our next house, and I’ll be sharing it all here on All Things G&D – I hope you’ll follow along!
The next stop on the Signature Style Blog Tour? Carrie from Making Lemonade – the originator of our Signature Style Series! Click on over and check out her gorgeous Vintage Modern Glam style.
(Psst…check back on Friday for link-ups to all 22 bloggers in our series and an exciting Signature Style Giveaway – you won’t want to miss it!)