G and I were a couple of kids in college when we met, but of course at the time I liked to think that we were soooo grown up. I loved cooking for him, which further solidified my belief that we had it all figured out. I mean, making your own spaghetti sauce from scratch – what’s more grown up than that?!
Somebody give this girl a mortgage and a 401k.
Fourteen years later, we have both of those things. We’ve outgrown much of what we ate in college, but one thing that’s still a favorite are these Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups. I made this recipe one night while I was at his apartment playing house, because to me, nothing said “grown up food” more than something stuffed. What a surprise to cut into it and find it gushing with ingredients on the inside!
How’d she get that in there?!
I should marry her right now.
I can’t say for sure that that’s exactly what he was thinking at the time, but I can tell you this. We play house together every day now and this is still one of his favorite meals.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups
4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4″ thick
4 thin slices of ham
8 oz garlic & herb cream cheese
2 oz crumbled feta
1/3 c. milk
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1 c. Half & Half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1 ham slice on each piece of pounded chicken.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese over each slice of ham.
- Sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of feta on top of the cream cheese for each chicken breast.
- Roll each chicken breast up to enclose filling, securing with toothpicks.
- Dip chicken rolls into milk, then roll in crumbs to coat.
- Place rolls seam sides down on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 mins. In the meantime, bring half & half to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining cream cheese spread; blend well.
- Pour sauce over cooked chicken rolls.
Tip: You can use any flavor of cream cheese you’d like for this recipe to adjust the flavors – or you can make your own! I like to use my favorite garlic & herb seasoning blend mixed with plain cream cheese.