The 2013 Whole Living Challenge is only 3 weeks long, but for the past two years I’ve been used to doing 4 week challenges so I’ve decided to add on my own extra week. In light of falling off the wagon this weekend, I’ve been thinking about how I want to manage this upcoming week, and here’s what I’ve decided. I plan to primarily stick with Challenge-friendly recipes for my breakfasts and meals, but I’ll be adding gluten and dairy back in as I feel like eating them. I’m also going to allow myself a glass of wine if I want one!
I see my Week 4 as being closer to how I strive to eat all the time (before I derailed myself over the holidays): I call it my 80/20 plan – 80% of the time I eat whole, clean foods, and the other 20% of the time I allow my brain to override my body and indulge in what it wants. I’ve discovered over the past two years (since first changing my eating habits for the better) that this kind of balance typically works well for me – a discovery that was certainly reinforced last weekend after nearly three weeks of being on the 100/0 plan. My hope is that Week 4 will look a little more 90/10 as I ease myself from Challenge-mode to everyday mode.
I should also note that my Week 4 ends with a little family getaway we have planned with two other couples and all our kids! We’ll be going up to Wisconsin Dells for a weekend of waterpark fun! We’ve rented a huge cabin, and I look forward to stocking our kitchen with healthy snack options for us all to enjoy. I plan to relax, eat and drink, and thoroughly enjoy our little family getaway, but I’m also hoping not to completely derail the progress I’ve made over the past three weeks in the process!
Here are some of the things I plan to continue enjoying during Week 4:
My Breakfast Options:
Roasted Red Pepper & Kale Frittata*
Steel Cut Oats w/Cinnamon*
Green Machine Smoothie*
Ginger Orange Smoothie*
Mango Coconut Water Smoothie*
My Dinner Options:
Baked Sweet Potato with Greens
Spinach, Tofu, Brown Rice Bowl
Poached Egg w/Rice & Edamame
Grilled Salmon with Orange Avocado Salsa*
Roasted veggies (carrots, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower)*
Salads and slaws from my lunch list
My Snack Options:
Spicy Quinoa & Black Lentil Salad w/Avocado Vinaigrette* (eaten as a salsa with Blue Corn Flaxseed Tortilla chips)
Smoothies from my breakfast list*
Pumpkin Seed Zucchini Crackers*
Creamy Cashew Dip*
Roasted Spiced Chickpeas*
*Things I’ve already tried that I know I’ll like.
Anyone else planning to stretch this year’s Challenge into a 4-weeker? Good luck to all of us!
These, and other Challenge-friendly recipes can be found on my 2013 Whole Living Challenge Pinterest board. You can also follow along with me on my All Things G&D Facebook page and Instagram for daily Challenge updates!